VNC and McAfee 8.0i
R***@aol.com
2005-02-16 22:33:00 UTC
Using VNC at work, I am being told by our McAfee expert that 8.0i will automtically DELETE VNC from the PC.
We have been in a heated discussion with others trying to strip VNC from our toolbelt and it sounds like this may be another ruse to take our beloved tool.

Does anyone have some good information about McAfee 8.0i deleting VNC or somehow disabling it on the PC?
Basically, I am trying to find if their statement about McAfee is true or false.

Thanks so much !
Andrew Borland
2005-02-16 23:01:03 UTC
Some, maybe all, virus scanning tools are designed to take out "remote
access applications" as these are deemed, by the scanner writers, to be
a "bad thing". In our world, these detections are "false positives".

Every Virus Scanning tool I've ever used implements a default policy of
"delete first, ask questions later". As such, I would not be surprised
if an "out of the box" installation of McAfee 8 did indeed delete all
your VNC files.

However, any Virus Scanning tool worthy of the name should contain the
ability to ignore certain specified files/folders. You McAfee experts
should therefore be delighted to demonstrate their prowess (and justify
their salaries) by configuring the scanner to leave VNC well alone.

PS: Kaspersky has just recently starting giving false positives on
VNC. If they don't fix it soon I shall be changing horses when my
current subscription expires.

Regards, Andrew Borland (UK)
Kevin Doh
2005-02-17 01:50:01 UTC
Grisoft makes an antivirus program called AVG. Quite good. and
FREE!!! that is if you want to use the free version. The free version
is quite robust however. Maybe the switch will help some people...

i feel like a salesman.. maybe i can get commission from grisoft.

-kevin doh

James Weatherall
2005-02-17 01:10:00 UTC
If this is true then you probably want to contact McAfee and get them to fix
their product or refund you your money. Sounds like they've really broken
something in it.

Cheers,
2005-02-17 01:45:01 UTC
David,

The situation as it stands is that the original poster's system has a
problem where a program on it periodically downloads data from somewhere on
the Internet and then goes around deleting files from his system without
telling him. To me, that sounds awfully like a virus.

Personally, I'd be pretty annoyed if software I'd paid good money for
started deleting my other programs. I'd be annoyed, for example, if it
removed Internet Explorer or Windows File Sharing, but it seems that in
spite of those being two of the most common sources of security problems in
Windows systems, no anti-virus software can even detect them! ;)

On a serious note, we're in contact with several "anti-spyware" vendors at
present, to help them address problems with their products giving misleading
or erroneous information regarding VNC.

Cheers,
2005-02-17 01:57:01 UTC
I'm currently running both VNC 4 and Mcafee 8.0i. By default the
Remote Administraton applications is turned off in virusscan. And if
it was turned on, you could simply add VNC to the list of programs
excluded from the scan. (Open the console, right click the 'unwanted
programs policy' and choose properties, Click the button marked
exclusions, and edit it.)

Though in there I don't even see VNC listed as a program it detects.
There is a version of VNC that shows up as a trojan. Look on mcafee's
website for the BackDoor-ARG trojan.

Chris
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, received late or incomplete, or could contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any error or omission in the contents of this message, which arises as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version from the sender.
Patrick
2005-02-17 17:46:01 UTC
confirm 837552
Hi....

Firstly I must say to you that i don't speak english very much...
I've Just Downloaded the VNC 4.0 Free edition...
And i have installed it, and it run

But now i want to know how can I remote my computer throught the Internet???

I 've read the Documentation about it, but i had several problems with the
comprehension, because of my english speaking...
so can you Mr or Mrs Give me some advices about this subject please!!!

thank you very much!!!!
see you
Angelo Sarto
2005-02-18 00:16:01 UTC
Realvnc is made up of client and server
You need server running with a password set and then on client connect
to the IP address of server.
If you have a router or firewall between you and the internet you need
to "port forward" port 5900. See www.portforward.com for help.
If you have anti-virus or Windows XP Service Pack 2 you need to
configure the firewall part of it.

I hope this helps I tried to keep all my sentances short and direct so
you can translate them better.

--Angelo
sasa
2005-03-01 17:27:01 UTC
Hi, my shema is the following:

"my pc win xp" (vnc) --> internet --> "box linux" (vnc) --> "win2003" (vnc)

..all it's ok except when I try to send ctrl-alt-canc from "box linux" to "win2003", after clic "key special" I click on the "ctrl-alt-canc" but the combination is catching from "my pc win xp" and not from "win2003".
There is a solution ?
thanks.
Salvatore.
William Hooper
2005-03-02 00:37:00 UTC
Post by sasa
"my pc win xp" (vnc) --> internet --> "box linux" (vnc) --> "win2003" (vnc)
..all it's ok except when I try to send ctrl-alt-canc from "box linux" to
"win2003", after clic "key special" I click on the "ctrl-alt-canc" but
the combination is catching from "my pc win xp" and not from "win2003".
There is a solution ?
When you hit F8, it is captured by the local vncviewer session (the one
running on the WinXP machine). If you then use the "Send F8" menu item it
will send F8 to the remote machine (in this case the Linux machine). If
you then select "Send Control-Alt-Del" from this second menu, it will get
sent to the Win2003 machine.

That said, I would seriously look at using SSH on the linux machine to
tunnel the traffic, saving you from having to run a viewer within a
viewer.
--
William Hooper